On May 4th, 2011 I will be heading off on an exciting 1-year trek across Central & South America. I will be carrying two fishing rods in my backpack - one spin casting & one fly rod. Join my adventure as I search for each country's best fishing spots, learn local techniques, and show you how to get in on the action. Rainbow Bass fishing in Nicaragua, Machaca in Costa Rica, and Peacock Bass in Guyana are only a few of the adventures on the itinerary.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Scarborough Bluffs (Toronto) Fishing Update - The Fish Are In

Scarborough Bluffs at sundown - a think fog creeps in 

Tonight I went down to the Scarborough Bluffs with my faithful fly-rod and a handful of clouser minnows. A thick fog crept across the marina creating an eerie atmosphere characteristic of the opening scene of a low-budget slasher flick. Although I had anticipated that it would be a bit colder near the water, I didn't expect the winter-esk temperature that greeted me. Nothing was going to stop me from taking a few casts - not even the return of old man winter. 

I headed to one of my usual spots near the bridge. A 2-pound pike followed my chartreuse clouser to shore, watching intently but not committing to an attack.  After ten casts I was forced to put down the rod to rescue what was left of my frozen fingers. For the next hour, I would take three casts then put my hands into my pockets for three minutes of warmth - it was frigid. 

With no luck from the shoreline, I headed to the bridge to see if I could spot any fish swimming down below. Although it was quite dark, I was still able to spot a beautiful brown trout and a stealthy 4-lb pike swim pass in the moving current. With the light quickly fading, I was no longer able to see my fly in the water. My florescent green floating line suddenly began to disappear from the surface, followed by a sharp solitary tug. And just like that - I lost it. The 8-lb florocarbon leader was severed with the precision of a butcher's cleaver. My fingers could no longer function to perform a complexed task like tying on a new fly. My brief fishing session was over but left with the knowledge that THE FISH ARE IN. If you can handle the current cold temperatures, it is worth heading down for some urban fishing at the Scarborough Bluffs. 



1 comment:

  1. The Scarborough Bluffs are an escarpment in the Scarborough district of Toronto along the shoreline of Lake Ontario and its a wonderfull place for fishing.

    ReplyDelete

Follow Me on Twitter
Subscribe to Feeds
Add in Facebook