On May 4th, 2011 I will be heading off on an exciting 1-year trek across Central & South America. I will be carrying two fishing rods in my backpack - one spin casting & one fly rod. Join my adventure as I search for each country's best fishing spots, learn local techniques, and show you how to get in on the action. Rainbow Bass fishing in Nicaragua, Machaca in Costa Rica, and Peacock Bass in Guyana are only a few of the adventures on the itinerary.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Scarborough Bluffs Fishing - Salmon, Trout, Lures, and more

I raced home from work this afternoon so that I could make it to the Bluffs in time to take a few casts. My main mission was to see if the salmon and trout had entered the marina. Well in short, 'they are in'. Splashes  are coming from the water but I couldn't tell if they were from salmon or trout (way too dark).  As mentioned in my earlier posts, these fish come into the marina every year before leaving to spawn. They put on quite a spectacular circus act with their highflying leaps out of the water. This usually lasts for about a month then fishing at the bluffs is pretty much over until the spring (the water freezes over). Already the regular fall fishermen are flocking to the shores of the marina trying to land one of these Lake Ontario giants.

Tonight's sunset at the Scarborough Bluffs

A few people have been searching for tips on the type of bait, lures and rods used to fish for salmon and trout at the Bluffs. I have seen just about everything being used but from my personal experience, I would advise using a longer rod (8' to 10' feet) if you plan on using your spinning reel. A long rod can be used to cast spoons and inline spinners further than with the conventional 6'6 rod. Most of the fish troll along the deeper channel where boats pass, so you will need to pitch your lure further to get where the fish are stacking. A long rod is your best bet for this. Heavier spoons like the "Little Cleo" 3/8 ounce can be launched pretty far from shore. After dark you will notice flashing lights going off all around the marina. Anglers use glow-in-the dark lures (particularly spoons) that they charge with a camera flash. The lures will glow for about 2 casts then they need to be flashed again for the glow to return.

Of course you can also try drift fishing with roe bags or pink plastic worms.  I have personally had more success using inline spinners (Mepps & Blue Fox Vibrax #3). This year I will be walking with my fly rod to experiment with a different technique. Earlier this year I was able to catch quite a few pike and bass using Chartreuse Clouser Minnows. As a matter of fact tonight I landed a decent sized perch on the fly. I know...perch don't count!

Hopefully this had helped you to decide what lure/bait to walk with when you head down to the Bluffs. If you have advice that you would like to share with readers, please leave a comment. I will be giving a weekly update on the fishing at the Bluffs so be sure to check back.

Until the next time.

Tight lines and good luck,

Joel  (fishtalker)

1 comment:

Follow Me on Twitter
Subscribe to Feeds
Add in Facebook