On May 4th, 2011 I will be heading off on an exciting 1-year trek across Central & South America. I will be carrying two fishing rods in my backpack - one spin casting & one fly rod. Join my adventure as I search for each country's best fishing spots, learn local techniques, and show you how to get in on the action. Rainbow Bass fishing in Nicaragua, Machaca in Costa Rica, and Peacock Bass in Guyana are only a few of the adventures on the itinerary.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

What to expect - Fishing in the Mayan Riviera

It has been a while since my last post as I took a break from fishing to focus on writing a few magazine articles. In January, I will be able to say that I am officially a published writer in a recognized North American fishing magazine. I have been investing a lot of my time and money into the future of this blog and my general website joelduncanadventures.com (currently under development). In the new year you will see much more exciting and dynamic content as I take you along on fishing adventures through video, photography, sound recordings and written content. You can also expect to see more interviews with the industry's elite stars and rising hot shots.

My next trip will be to the Mayan Riviera, Mexico(on Dec 27th) where I will try my hand at fishing the flats for some salt-water monsters. Before that, I will visit Home Depot to purchase materials for a customized rod carrying travel case - Something I read in a 'how to' fishing book that is sitting on my desk. Be sure to check back for a picture of the final product. I also invested in a GoPro camera that I will use to capture all of the action on the water, so look forward to some lively footage. If you have done flats fishing, leave a comment with your advice and recommendations.


Although a lot of my trip to Mexico will be spent enjoying white sand beaches and ice-cold Coronas, I will be embarking on my annual charity mission. Every year I collect toys, candies, books, pencils and other small goodies to make little gift bags which I personally hand deliver to less fortunate kids in the area that I am visiting. This year my amigo Adrian, a travel expert in the Mayan world, will take me to rural Mayan villages near Tulum to deliver the gift bags. Hopefully one day I will be able to give fishing equipment as presents to the kids and teach them the beauty of fishing and the importance of responsible fishing. Maybe that will be my project for next year...50 fishing rods and 50 goody bags. If anyone is interested in getting involved in these missions or donating inexpensive gifts for the goody bags please let me know. If you are planning a trip to the Mayan Riviera check out Adrian's site www.viajesconciencia.com!

Christmas Mission 2009 - Oaxaca Mexico

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Twitter
Subscribe to Feeds
Add in Facebook